Thursday, June 7, 2012

Happy Cupiversary!

I started this blog after hockey season so I've not yet touched on the other love of my life. The Tampa Bay Lightning.

Eight years ago today the Bolts won their first Stanley Cup. I say first because I fully believe that sooner or later those a-holes are going to bring us another. The fact of the matter is, the 2004 Stanley Cup run is extremely important to me. Not just because my favorite hockey team won it all, but because of the memories that were made over those couple of months. Alexis, (the disney co-hort that's often referenced) and I met the year prior. She'd drive all the way down from Jacksonville for the festivities and we, along with a few other close friends, rode out the cup insanity together. 

The Lightning have long had a policy of selling discounted game day tickets. Two sections, one behind each net, would go on sale the morning of a game. For the majority of the playoffs, these were given out on a first come, first serve basis. What did this mean? Camping in Downtown Tampa. And we went all out. There were tv's and PS2s, lots of music, and just a really amazing time. Snowball fights from the zamboni leftovers, dancing on the bar across the street (RIP Outpost!), lots of laughs and a million smiles. The plaza of the St Pete Times forum had become it's own little community, and a fantastic one at that. Everyone was there for the same reason, to cheer on our bolts. 

The final series was intense, but in the end, the bolts prevailed at home. I stood in the spot I'd spent so much time in over the past two months and watched my boys, one by one, hoist Lord Stanley over their heads. Call me a dork, but it was an extremely emotional moment. I'd watched them fight so, so damn hard to get to that point. I'd shared the experience with a truly fantastic group of people, many of whom I still consider very dear and very close friends. It was an experience, one I wouldn't give up for the world.

 A lot has changed since then. We went through a pretty rough patch for awhile. We try to ignore that that ever happened.  Players have left, returned, and left again. There are new faces everywhere and the area itself has gone through a very amazing face lift. Old faces are still there, though now in front of the camera instead of on the ice. But their presence still shines through. Having Captain Dave, or as I like to call him, "Dad" be there game after game gives me a sense of comfort. I feel like his leadership and experience still effects us all. Thanks for the memories, Bolts. I'm looking forward to a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment