Sunday, May 6, 2012

I don't know if this is the kind of fun Walt had in mind when he envisioned epcot...

My favorite Disney partner-in-crime and I had made the decision a few weeks ago to spend Cinco de Mayo in Mexico. Well...the Mexican pavilion at Epcot, but that's close enough for us. We were joined by another friend and headed over to Magic Kingdom when it opened for some amazing tom foolery. (One of the highlights of our morning will be documented in another post later on.) Around 11, when The World Showcase opened, we hightailed it over to the margaritas.

I'm a big fan of frozen margaritas, always have been. That being said, my trips into La Cava del Tequila inside the Mexican Pavilion have not been numerous. I usually stick to the frozen concoctions they sell outside. This time, however, we were quite excited to try this Blood Orange Margarita we'd heard a lot about. Fabulous decision. We were told that Pepe would take care of us, and take care of us he did. Our other friend tried the passionfruit. It was also super tasty, but heavy on the sweet side. If you like sweet drinks, I definitely recommend it.

The line for El Rio del Tiempo was ridiculous and though this is usually a must do for us, we decided to bypass it for the time being. Margaritas in hand, we continued on our way through the World Showcase. Recently, Draven from DSOD referred to drinking around the world as a bit of a rite of passage. I have to agree. It's actually a rite of passage i've been participating in since I turned 21.

Now let me tell you...Adam and Eve had a snake and an apple. I have Epcot's World Showcase. There is so much variety and pretty much anything you get is amazing. I've been on this ridiculous diet and needless to say, it got shoved aside for the day so that I could partake and do Cinco de Mayo up right. We're nearing the point to this post and why Epcot is probably the most amazing and evil place in all of Disney.

We continued on to Germany where I've recently become a fan of their wine flight. After that, it was onto Italy where we sampled some Limoncello, and then I had the frozen Red Stag and lemonade in 'Merica. This is one of my favorites. They brought it in for the Food and Wine festival last year and decided to keep it around.

Soon enough, we were wandering into France. (If you haven't read my previous post, now would be the time.) We're about half way through our trek around the world and I'm feeling pretty happy at this point. I think that's a nice way to put it. So we start to walk by Chefs de France. In case you've never been there, the entire front of the restaurant is all windows, so while walking by you can see people dining inside. You can also see the waiters taking care of them. I felt the need to look for our new favorite waiter, Kevin. Okay so maybe this was a stalkerish move. I regret nothing. I was peeking inside, walking down the length of the building, trying to catch a glimpse of our favorite French waiter.

No such luck. We were about to cut our losses and move on to Vins de France for the glass of Moet someone had been craving for the last two weeks when we walked by the front entrance. There, in all of his glory, was French Kevin. (This is his new name, btw.) The next five minutes were spent bickering about why I couldn't walk in there alone and how someone had to come with me. Finally we all started to walk in together. I was about halfway up the walkway when I ran into the restaurant. I did not walk, I ran. As soon as I got inside, there was Kevin to greet me.

Fueled by my adventures in the World Showcase so far that day, I started to explain to French Kevin that he'd been our waiter for lunch a few weeks ago and that we'd thought he was awesome. He laughed and nodded. "Oh yes, I remember you, you were sitting over there." Stop the presses. He remembered us? I told you it was fate, Kevin. I knew this was something special. I KNEW YOU FELT IT TOO!

This was probably the highlight of everyone's day. It totally makes up for the fact that I'm a class act and dropped one of those "CAUTION: WET FLOOR" signs while giving my friends my personalized tour of the viking church in Norway. It even makes up for the fact that I got my bag completely soaked when I felt the need to go running through the small fountains that were clearly put there for the enjoyment of children under the age of ten. It was amazing.

We finished our trek around the world and color me shocked, ended up back in Mexico. Our grand total of rides in Epcot that day? Two. Maelstrom in Norway and Spaceship Earth, where I passed out mid ride. My nap would have been a lot more enjoyable if Judy Dench would have stopped yammering on in my ear. Our intentions had been to return back to the Magic Kingdom and close out the park, but injuries and disappointment in the "technical malfunctions" on POTC found us making our way out of the park immediately after dinner. SOMEONE forgot to say goodnight to George. Smooth move, guys.

I'm going to leave you with two things. One. Don't run through Norway wearing flip flops after drinking. You will likely end up hurt. SOMEONE on this trip learned this lesson the hard way. I'll give you a hint. It was not me.

Secondly. Go like French Kevin on Facebook. You can do so here. Yes. I went there.

2 comments:

  1. Justin Beaver. You forgot about Justin Beaver

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Look! This is a beaver named Justin!........OH! JUSTIN BEAVER!!!" ::falls over::

    I don't know if the world needs to hear the details of how I ended up on the floor in Canada.

    ReplyDelete